Wednesday 11 January 2017

COP 03 / Primary Research / Limitations

Since the subject chosen for my dissertation for the module was religion, I was aware that this may cause some limitations and problems throughout the research process. Some individuals find religion to be a sensitive topic, it's not one you can bring up as easily as asking what someone had for lunch. I runs a bit deeper and is not always the most straight forward.

When trying to gather primary research for my written piece and practical, I found it very hard to articulate what I needed to, and found that some people may not have fully grasped what the question was about - after all, they are not the ones who are doing a dissertation on it. Asking religious people if they think religion is becoming branded could come across as offensive unless they are aware of it, which I wanted to avoid as much as possible. Someone's religion is usually very important to them, and I did not want to trivialise their faith by stating that it may be 'branded', or reduced to a commodity rather than something more indepth.

It was also extremely hard to find answers from religious professionals such as priests or ministers. What I did find out was that the only way to find the answers was to contact religious individuals who have a knowledge for the design/marketing industry, such as Tom Outing from York Minster's digital team. He had both the knowledge from working in a minster, to working on digital promotion FOR a minster.

This definitely hindered my primary research throughout the module and resulted in a lesser amount than I would have hoped, although what I did find was extremely useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment