Thursday 8 December 2016

COP 03 / Practical / Jesmonite experiment 01

The cast was created and had worked, however I encountered a problem initially with the top of the bottle being submerged within the vinamold, this trapped the top of the bottle in the mold and so I had to try and work around this. I removed the bottle from the clay mold and placed it into the vinamold cast.

For the mixture I chose to use Jesmonite which will give the matte 'dusty' effect I want. Jesmonite is similar to concrete, and pigment can be added to it. I wanted the stone to be white, to give the appearance of light and purity. Initially I mixed too little of the Jesmonite, and had to remix it which caused slight colour differences - something Ii'd want to avoid.





The second problem I encountered was that although the bottle had the water inside, there wasn't enough in the bottle for it to be fully weighted down, and it floated up, therefore the mixture entered the area where the bottle was supposed to be.

This means I get an idea of how the product would look, but it is not functional. For submission, I'd want a fully functional bottle.

As for the bottle itself, I didnt think it was worth trying this cast again. I did not like the shape of the bottle for the purpose. It did not communicate a sense of 'pureness', and looked fair to bulky. Although I liked the concept behind the shape, the next developments will be making the entire thing again and call this a prototype experiment.

From learning skills, I now know how to improve the next version. I must start out by modelling a more abstract, current and 'sleek' shape, rather than a fat one. Perhaps I can also make the area where the logo is more obvious and official. I will also weigh down the bottle when it comes to pouring the jesmonite into the cast, to avoid it floating up to the surface because of any air in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment